Thursday, July 28, 2011

Test Results today

I'm anxious to get my test results today.  Will follow up on the blog when I get back. Still battling "fatigue"...........this is just not "my bag".

I'm back, it was a long day.  I'm just going to review the facts I know and "hit the sack".

GOOD NEWS:
- Tumor has shrunk from 3.5cm to 1.0 cm!!! Yeah!
- My heart is in great shape, they say it is because I am walking every day. (running and biking for years before probably didn't hurt either) Walking helps protect it from the affects of the chemo.
- Surgery will be in mid October

INTERESTING NEWS:
-They'll be testing me for BRCA next week to see if I have a genetic pre-disposition gene. 
-If I do it will be important for my girls to get tested too!
-They will start my Herceptin (IV med for HER2) just before my surgery.  I will receive it once every 3 weeks for a year.

NOT SO GOOD NEWS:
-Dr Chui re-affirmed I'm going to get hit hard next week with the new chemo. I will be injecting a medication 24 hours after each chemo, called Neulasta, to stimulate my bone marrow to make new cells faster.  It apparently has lots of side effects itself, at the top of the list; severe bone pain. Dr Chui says they call it a "good" pain though, because with the pain they know it is working. 
-Nausea will tend to abound...........

BAD NEWS:
-I've been hearing all throughout my chemo, that my neuropathy on my hands and feet will probably go away (mostly from the nurses).  I assumed it would start happening pretty quickly after getting off the Taxol, which has caused it.  Dr Chui clarified today that it takes about 2 years for it to go away IF it goes away!!  If it has not gone away after 2 years it will not.  I'm obviously very disappointed with this.
-If I am BRCA positive, they will take out my ovaries when they do my mastectomies.  (this is a good thing to know and have done!! Just not good to think about adding to my plate)

So............I'm grateful for the progress!!!!  Grateful for a healthy heart!!!  And yes..........we will just take one day at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home