Sunday, July 17, 2011

Addendum to today's Blog/ Cancer update

Well today's blog is so long I decided to add an "addendum" to make it "feel" less long.  I thought I'd add the latest update to where my treatment is at and where it is headed. 

I just finished 12 weeks of my oral chemo-therapy agent "Neratanib".  It was my "I Spy2 "Trial  or study drug. Not a very fun drug for the stomach, so I am thrilled to be off it!!! (but grateful to have been able to be on it too).  Then I have one more IV infusion of the Chemo-therapy Taxol this coming Friday and I will be done with my 12 weeks of Taxol!!! Yeah!!!

Then I have 2 weeks "Off" where I'll have repeat mammogram, ultrasound, MRI and echo cardiogram testing done. Also I will get to follow up with Dr. Chui (Oncologist) and Dr. Naik (surgeon) after the testing to get results and consult further for surgery.

August 5th I start my second series of chemotherapy.  It is a Combo therapy where I receive two drugs. Adriamycin and Cytoxan. Apparently, according to the nurses, it may be "worse". This because I am already down, and the effects are cumulative. Also these drugs tend to  really drop your blood counts way down and "perhaps cause a little more nausea". So..........I thought I knew what tired was eh?  We'll see, The Lord is still in charge here, so I will do what I have to do, and trust in Him to help me get through it. This series will take 8 weeks to get through. 

Then I get a break before my surgery.  I will give actual facts on that when I get them.  My understanding is it is about a 6 weeks break to build up your strength before surgery. After surgery I start a one year cycle of an IV drug called "Herceptin" which is to fight against the Her2 + receptor of my cancer , or in other words the aggressiveness of my cancer.  So we still have a ways to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home