Sunday, August 7, 2011

Meeting Plastic Surgeon

Thursday I got to meet Dr Thakar.  I loved her.  She is the plastic Surgeon who will reconstruct me after Dr. Naik does her thing to get rid of the cancer. Here I am with Dr. Thakar:



Can't you just see the personality there?  She was so fun to work with.

Her medical assistant reminded me of my daughter-in-law Julie. Not especially in looks but in her manners. It was fun.

I have spent quite a bit of time studying the different types of re-construction.  I finally decided I wanted to go with the "natural" Of the two types.  I was really sold on the DIEP, but the book says it requires a surgeon proficient in microsurgery, and for some reason when I read it I felt this could be a problem.  My back up then became the Tram Flap. Of course I didn't even know if I  would qualify as a candidate for either.  Everyone else kept telling me the Tissue Expander followed by implants was the best (and I have seen great results, as well as the book states it is the most commonly done procedure).  So I really didn't know what to think Dr. Thakar would recommend.

She was very thorough and informative...........and imagine my surprise when she recommended the DIEP for me!!!!  Another blessing........she does them.  She took Dale and I over to the computer and showed us step by step of the procedure (at a level we could understand).  I felt that feeling of confirmation that this is the right thing, just as surely as I did about my original treatment plan with Dr. Chui. What a comfort to be able to "feel" it is right. Also she can do it at the same time as the mastectomies!!! That means just one surgery instead of two!!! Assuming Dr Naik doesn't find any surprises.  If they find any positive nodes in my tissues then I may have to have radiation therapy,which would delay the surgery.  So Pray that there is nothing else there!! I absolutely don't want radiation therapy, even  if it didn't affect the surgery!

The only other problem is Dr Thakar said that  if I gain any more weight it might affect my ability to have this particular surgery, as it could put me at too big a risk.  Boy, I walk an hour every day and I'm still challenged.  I am definitely turning to my Heavenly Father with this one.  I need help. I know He will come through for me, as he always does.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home