Thursday, April 21, 2011

Chemo Class Day

Today Dale and I got to go to the class given at OHSU to prepare us for Chemotherapy. We got there and it turned out today there were only two patients in the class......good for us, we get more attention.  Kerry a Social Worker  and Iris  another Rn Co-ordinator for cancer taught the class

Kerry, Kirsten and Iris

I was extremely impressed with the program.  It was very informative, had a nice power point visual to help us keep up with them, and they had 2 guest speakers, a dietician and a co-ordinator to help cancer patients in getting various types of help. Everyone is so warm and caring. (the only exception being that one RN at my first MRI....but everyone has a bad day eh?) I really get the sense that I truly have a "team" not only working with me but cheering for me. I got a lot of questions clarified about diet, drugs, timing of things, and a whole lot of whys??? Which if you know me, I do much better if I understand! With just two of us there we still went a little overtime!!  Deidre "MY" study RN was there ready and waiting for me.

Deirdre and ME

I had e-mailed her that now my great fear of "Metastasis" was alleviated, my great fear of nausea and vomiting was rearing its big ugly head.  She immediately said she'd meet me right after the class and we could talk!! There she was, with her quick wit and caring manner, along with the "hug" that always means a lot to me.  She went over all the various drugs they would use "just to start with" some prophylactically (just before treatment) some during treatment, and some afterwards!! Then she made it clear if they weren't enough we could vamp it up until it was.  I felt a great sense of relief wash over me.  I can do this.  I am seeing how "tiredness" (which may be an understatement) is definitely going to be a profound part of all this.  Between the drugs, which I'm very grateful for, and the bone marrow suppression, I should get a little tired..........

We left OHSU happy, relieved, and ready for some temple time. We got there and had our usual meal: a big club salad, homemade soup, homemade roll and tapioca pudding!!  Had another great session at the temple and we were asked to be the witness couple.  I felt it was a real honor and a special gift from my Heavenly Father to be able to do this the day before my Port is placed for chemo. I really felt the love and peace in there.

Afterwards we did our walk around the temple and were surprised to see two ducks in the reflection pool on the east side of the temple.  They were so cute and just having a blast swimming around. Neither of us have ever seen ducks there before!! Dale sat me down on the corner of the reflection pool and grabbed my hand and said "will you marry me forever".  No throwing up here now you guys..........this was very special and meaningful to me because..........that is where he actually did ask me to marry him!!!  It just validated the strength we feel in our abilities as a couple to love and nurture each other through this temporary "bump" in the road, and then on...........forever!


Dale with the ducks at the reflection pond

Well, we're off to bed as we have to get up early to be to OHSU by 6am. Surgery is at 7:30. Here is a thought that has been on my mind today:

"no society is stronger than the moral fiber of it's people"   Sheri Dew
How is does this relate to all this............in every way, just ponder it.

1 Comments:

At April 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM , Blogger Aunt Sherry said...

I almost called you at 9:00 tonight when I got home, but was afraid I'd wake you. Now I see you were up and I wish I had! I hope you have sweet dreams and good night's rest! I have been thinking about you and praying for you tomorrow. All will go well. Great picture of Dale with the ducks...I'm still pondering the society's moral fiber related to your illness thing. Maybe I better get to bed because I'm drawing a blank. I'll try a new perspective in the morning. I love you Kirsten!
Sherry XOXOX

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home