Thursday, April 28, 2011

First Day of Chemotherapy....wow!

I woke up today thinking.........."wow, just think if I had my cancer twenty years ago, they wouldn't have the DNA specific study drug available for my aggressive tumor! I am so grateful to be able to have this treatment at this time".  I got up and just felt such a deep sense of gratitude"  The more grateful I felt, the more peace I felt and then I realized there is a deep connection between the two. The Light of Christ shines more deeply on me when I am grateful for what I have. 

Well it was a get up and go morning.  I had everything packed and double packed from last night.  The pre-chemo steroids I took had me running around like I was on speed until 2am, when I finally got some Ativan to kick it down a notch and was able to read myself to sleep.  So.......not starting out here too good with sleep..............ahhhh, but  I'm grateful I was able to sleep at all, and the sleep I got was deep and good!

Dale fixed me some home made pancakes, with applesauce and jam (the way I like them). We also had some Greek yogurt with oranges..........yum!.  Rachel showed up exactly on time (she got that from her dad Tom and she bragged that she did!). We said prayer and took off.  Here's what we looked like:

                                                              Mom and Rachel we are on it!
                                                               we're going to war....to win!


                                            Kirsten and Dale....note Dale's T-Shirt says from the
                                                       Belfast we visited in England
                                                  "KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON"



                                                               Checking in...........


                                          Getting ready to have my Port accessed for the first time
                                                       kinda weird.........I should be the nurse!


                                                That is a needle she is sticking into me!

                                                     Drawing some blood.....they'll do this
                                                                     every week
                                        Back to the waiting room to wait to see Dr. Chui next

                                          Checking out the hats which have been donated for
                                                                  cancer patients!!






                                          Kirsten and Dr Chui..........love his smile and attitude

Had a great visit with Dr. Chui.  He is excited to have me on the "right drug". He did quite an extensive exam, palpating, measuring, palpating, measuring. My tumor has grown in the past three weeks. No surprise with the aggressive Her2 Characteristic. The thought kind of freaked me out, but he reminded me of the anology between Penicillin and Pneumonia.  If you have a rip roaring pneumonia and you throw the wrong drug at his you may be dead, but if you know the right drug  is Penicillin............you've got it!  He says it was worth the extra three weeks (and growth) to know we are putting me on the right drugs!!!  I feel he is right. Anyway he says we are ready to go to war and kick its' butt...........and win!! I felt really good after our visit. I love him.......he is so practical, extremely knowledgeable and professional,and yet he relates well with his patients at OUR level.   

Next we were off to the actual chemotherapy room........ooh......aah
                                                        John and Kirsten getting started:    


John and I "bonded".  He told us there is a really "Posh" star personality born on the  same date as my birthday and had us going trying to figure out who it was. We gave up ..........to find out it was him!! We laughed.  We decided it was good luck to have the same birthdays and could only be a "good omen" for my day. It was, the day evolved very positively.


Here's Nurse Carol, another of Gods angels. She hooked me up to the IVs and monitored me.


 She cracked me up when I went to the bathroom (of course taking my IV with me) and came back to sit down she  said something like "what are you doing, you are not the nurse here, you are the patient". I looked a bit confused and said ,"well I can do this......can't I?"  She laughed  and said of course you can! (got me!)


Deirdre and Kirsten





No visit is complete without seeing Deirdre.......MY  NURSE CO-COORDINATOR (well I guess I have to share her but I love her!!) She is so efficient, even Dr. Chui says "just ask Deirdre about all  the details.....she knows all that stuff!). She keeps me centered and real. Gives me straight information, just like Dr Chui does too, and is warm and fun too!! Yep, once again I see the Lord  is with me every step of the way.

 She reviewed all my possible side effects and exactly what to do for them and when! She got my prescriptions sent down to pharmacy and ready to pick up. (a huge help as you all know!) Also, she re-iterated to call her about any little complaint I have and not wait!!  She also re-iterated the importance of staying away from germ factories!!  So I'm going to sneak into church and sit up on the stand where I go to lead the music, and then slink out of church ASAP when it is over.  So please don't anyone feel bad.  NO HUGS, as you might know, if I catch everyday bugs from someone when my blood counts are down, it could be really serious for me without an immune system to fight it.  So.......I will not be going to Relief Society or Sunday school either. This will be really hard, and I will really miss it, but it is the only way to get through this.




Kirsten a little "drugged"


At this point I suddenly realize I am talking a hundred miles an hours and being kind of goofy.  I looked over at Rachel and Dale and said "I'm  talking non-stop aren't I?" They both just looked at me and laughed!!  then I picked up the nurse call bell and said "Boy this is an awful tiny button, how do you push it?" Again.........Dale and Rachel laughed and said "follow the string up mom, it's attached to the wall...........you just pull it". Oops, I didn't notice that.  I think I am definitely not driving home!.  The pre-medication drugs they gave me to help stave off the side effects of the chemo are having their effect, but you know what............I don't care because I am actually having a great time and it is taking my mind off weightier matters. Next walks in Elizabeth and says "hi, I'm here to give you a massage!!"  The tender mercies just don't stop!!!  So she sat down and gave me the greatest foot and lower leg massage, I was definitely in heaven.  Now...........who wouldn't want to come to OHSU for treatment if you had to???



Elizabeth putting me into Nirvana



Just about when Elizabeth is done, Carol walks in and says you're done. Let get you out of here!!  I could not believe what a good day it was.  I actually had a good time.  I know it can't always be perfect, but what a way to get started.  Now I just need to stay on stop of side effects.  They told me the pre-treatment drugs they gave me will help abate the symptoms for up to two days, and that is when I'm most likely to start having them. But........everyone is different so we will just see! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Stake conference, I don't know.  But if you see  me wave to me from a distance, remember......no hugs.  I love you all!  Kirsten

























                
                                      
                                                  




3 Comments:

At April 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM , Blogger Jeff Turner said...

I was thinking about you all day long. I'm happy you got the treatment started now. First step towards victory! May your weekend go smooth and your soul be filled with love and tender mercies from God!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger margie said...

I am thinking of you so often. I hope you know I care, and yes; I will keep my distance till all is clear. When I see you I will send my love and hugs. May your Angels surround you and hold you tight especially on the days you are feeling sick.
God Bless You and Dale & Family <3

 
At April 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! You made it through day one! I called Rachel last night and she told me the story of the pull cord for the nurse's call button . . . nice one! Thanks for taking the time to detail your day so well, it really helps us feel part of things, even though we're not there. I hope you can get some rest today. I don't want to call you and be the one to wake you up, so anytime you call is a good time for me!

Much love, Nancy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home