Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Genetics Counseling May 25th

It is time to stick my head out of my cave and do a little blogging. Funny how surrealistic time has become. Usually there is never "enough" time, now I feel like I just exist in a little bubble. When you don't feel well, time just sort of stops. I am feeling better today though, and am working on a system of better appreciating the time I do have. Perspective has changed a lot, and continues to change. I have lots of thoughts on that...........later. For now I'll catch up on what has happened.

I made it to my genetics counseling appointment. It was very interesting. They of course, were all about statistics, and how that works in to testing. For me, the statistics didn't work. Since all of MY cancer relatives were not first generation it did not count on a scale that would be of any help to my descendents, or following generations. According to the current statistics, because I have breast cancer, my children have a 15% chance of getting it. People without a relative who has breast cancer have an approximate 8% chance of getting it........so it is not very helpful.

But.........if now my children get breast cancer, statistics would change for the grandchildren.......but that doesn't help my children does it? There is a gene called the BCRA, which if you are positive for it, you have an 80% chance of getting breast cancer. The testing for this costs $3,500.00 which needless to say, we are not going to pay for. BUT if I had qualified as a risk for it, the insurance would have paid for it. So I guess it is good news/bad news. Good news because according to their studies our risks are low. Bad news, because if we fall into the 15% of the population, the odds mean nothing to us. I have breast cancer, so it means nothing to me. But..........I do understand how it works. Basically we just need to be responsible and get our mammograms done regularly, eat right and exercise. Here are some pictures of my genetics appointment.



The counselors were very helpful and informed. They were fun to visit with. They felt bad they couldn't iniciate any testing for me (since I was interested in it). But the "standards" are the standards. I do get it.
















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home